home > treatment > a note about bleach

A Note About Bleach

Bleach is considered a remarkable treatment for mold. It kills both mold and spores. Bleach is also a formidable pollutant and can damage aquatic plant and animal life when washed down a household or business drain. While bleach might treat a book with mold, it is impossible to thoroughly remove bleach from paper fibers without ruining the book itself. Bleach breaks down paper fibers, causing permanent damage. Trace amounts of bleach left in the pages or on the cover of a book will quickly eat away at the book, degrading the structure and eventually requiring the book be discarded. Better to discard a moldy book outright than to try cleaning the mold with bleach.


Books Gone Bad - Mold in Library Collections was a project sponsored by Maine College of Art, in partnership with the Joanne Waxman Library. Funding for this project came from the Stephen and Tabitha King Foundation. The Project Lead and Artist for this project was Diane J. Wren. All contents Copyright © 2011 by Diane J. Wren. All rights reserved. No part of this web site may be reproduced or distributed in any form or by any means, electronic, mechanical, photocopying, recording, or otherwise, or stored in a data base or retrieval system, without the prior written permission of Diane J. Wren.